Commercials made by Gyula Macskássy using Gasparcolor technology, 1938 ̶ 40
Izzó szerelem / Incandescent Love
Fény / Light
A szerelmes masiniszta / Machinist in Love
7 Sláger / Seven Hits
A láthatatlan vendég / The Invisible Guest
Zeusz inkognitóban / Zeus Incognito
Pezsgő ritmusok / Bubbling Rhythms
Hamupipőke mesés mosása / Cinderella’s Fairy Wash
A vidám suszterinas /The Happy Cobbler’s Apprentice
Van rádiója? / Do You Have a Radio?
Corvin áruház / Corvin Department Store
Few people are aware that the career of Cannes-winner Gyula Macskássy was not launched after the war with his famous animation A kiskakas gyémánt félkrajcárja (The Little Cock’s Diamond Halfpenny, 1951). In fact, the ‘father of Hungarian animation’ was making world-class cartoon and puppet commercials as early as the 1930s. Gyula Macskássy’s Coloriton studio, which he founded in 1932 with János Halász, later to become famous as John Halas, and Félix Kassowitz, maintained close ties with the European avant-garde movement. As students of Sándor Bortnyik, they soon became acquainted with the Gasparcolor colour film technology in Berlin, which a Hungarian chemist, Gáspár Béla, had patented in 1931, and which became the predecessor of American Technicolor. At the time, this remarkably defined and vivid, three-layer colour film technology was being used by such great filmmakers as Oskar Fischinger in Germany and the USA, Len Lye in England, Alexandre Alexeieff and Berthold Bartosch in France, and the Hungarian-born George Pal in the Netherlands and the USA. The absolute sensation of the restoration of these commercials dating from 1938-40 is that it was carried out in the National Film Institute – Film Archive following the original technology and assembling three specially separated light layers, in 2022.